This year’s Broadway-musical-to-movie transfers didn’t fare too well with the Academy Awards nominating committee, which announced its picks this morning. Sweeney Todd, Tim Burton’s cinematic take on the 1979 Broadway musical, didn’t get a Best Picture nomination, but star Johnny Depp did receive a nod for Best Actor. Sweeney was also recognized for its Art Direction and Costume Design. Surprisingly, the Hairspray film — which was a critical and box office smash this summer — didn’t take away any Oscar nominations at all.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Six Degrees of Separation” Begins Performances - April 20, 2017
- Laura Osnes and Corey Cott Star in “Bandstand” - April 13, 2017
- Bette Midler’s “Hello, Dolly!” Begins Previews at the Shubert Theatre - March 18, 2017
- Kevin Kline Stars in “Present Laughter” on Broadway - March 12, 2017
- Lynn Nottage’s Play “Sweat” Begins Previews - March 5, 2017