This year’s Broadway-musical-to-movie transfers didn’t fare too well with the Academy Awards nominating committee, which announced its picks this morning. Sweeney Todd, Tim Burton’s cinematic take on the 1979 Broadway musical, didn’t get a Best Picture nomination, but star Johnny Depp did receive a nod for Best Actor. Sweeney was also recognized for its Art Direction and Costume Design. Surprisingly, the Hairspray film — which was a critical and box office smash this summer — didn’t take away any Oscar nominations at all.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- SNL Undergoes Summer Talent Change - August 24, 2016
- Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo Musical Headed to Broadway - August 13, 2016
- “Motown the Musical” Is Back on Broadway - July 15, 2016
- “Tuck Everlasting” Closes After 67 Performances - June 4, 2016
- “Live with Kelly and Michael” Faces Major Upheaval - April 24, 2016