The sweet, quirky Broadway musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee ends its run at the Circle in the Square Theatre today. Spelling Bee was an Off-Broadway hit at the Second Stage Theatre before transferring to Broadway, where it has played over 1,100 performances. The show is about — what else? — a spelling bee, and in addition to the six cast members playing student spellers, four people from the audience also got to join the competition onstage each night. Spelling Bee lives on through its original Broadway cast recording, and no doubt many regional theaters will now be angling to produce it.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- Tony Winning Play “The Humans” Concludes - January 14, 2017
- “Matilda,” “Something Rotten!” Close New Year’s Day - January 1, 2017
- Jordan Klepper Set For His Own Show on Comedy Central - November 29, 2016
- “Alton Brown: Eat Your Science” Plays Limited Run - November 27, 2016
- “Hamilton” Goes Off-Script for Mike Pence Ambush - November 20, 2016