The sweet, quirky Broadway musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee ends its run at the Circle in the Square Theatre today. Spelling Bee was an Off-Broadway hit at the Second Stage Theatre before transferring to Broadway, where it has played over 1,100 performances. The show is about — what else? — a spelling bee, and in addition to the six cast members playing student spellers, four people from the audience also got to join the competition onstage each night. Spelling Bee lives on through its original Broadway cast recording, and no doubt many regional theaters will now be angling to produce it.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Six Degrees of Separation” Begins Performances - April 20, 2017
- Laura Osnes and Corey Cott Star in “Bandstand” - April 13, 2017
- Bette Midler’s “Hello, Dolly!” Begins Previews at the Shubert Theatre - March 18, 2017
- Kevin Kline Stars in “Present Laughter” on Broadway - March 12, 2017
- Lynn Nottage’s Play “Sweat” Begins Previews - March 5, 2017