Getting tired of seeing the same old Nutcracker every Christmas season? The Urban Ballet Theater’s Nutcracker in the Lower takes the classic holiday ballet The Nutcracker and transports it to the island of Manhattan for a run that begins today at the Abrons Arts Center Henry Street Settlement and plays through December 5. Now in its ninth year, Nutcracker in the Lower takes the familiar tale of a little girl and her adventures and gives it a twist that reflects the excitement, diversity, and cultural richness of Manhattan. The production still honors Tchaikovsky’s beloved score, but includes hip-hop and Latin musical flourishes that give this Nutcracker the flavor of New York City.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Tuck Everlasting” Closes After 67 Performances - June 4, 2016
- “Live with Kelly and Michael” Faces Major Upheaval - April 24, 2016
- Manhattan Theatre Club’s “The Father” Begins Previews - March 26, 2016
- Mixed Reviews for Seth Rudetsky’s “Disaster!” Musical - March 18, 2016
- Critics Go Crazy for “The Humans” at the Helen Hayes Theatre - March 10, 2016