Directions & Box Office
- Directions: By subway, take the A/C/E to 42nd Street, walk north on Eighth Avenue, and then turn right onto 45th Street. Or take the 1/2/3 to 42nd Street, walk north on Broadway, and make a left onto 45th Street.
- Entrance: 45th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues The John Golden Theatre is located on the south side of 45th Street, west of Broadway near 8th Avenue.
- Box Office Hours:
- Monday - Saturday:
- 10am - 8pm
- 12pm - 6pm
Best Seats In The House
- Seats: 805
The John Golden Theatre has 805 seats. Because of its relatively small size, the John Golden Theatre offers great sightlines all around.
Parking for John Golden Theatre
The closest parking garages for John Golden Theatre are located at:
- Quik Park Garage
- 303 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036
- Champion Parking On West 45
- 251 West 45th Street
New York, NY 10036
The closest parking is not always the best as it often takes longer to park and retrieve your vehicle as fellow theatre goers have the same idea. A better choice of parking may be the second choice or further away by a couple of Avenues.
Landlord: Shubert Organization
Official Ticketer: Telecharge
This is one of Broadway's more intimate theaters that only ever carries plays as musicals are far too large to be accommodated.
- Previews Begin: April 11, 2023
- Opens: April 23, 2023
- Show Closes: June 18, 2023
Kiss My Aztec
- Previews Begin: July 20, 2023
- Opens: August 9, 2023
- Show Closes: October 18, 2023
View Show Information
- Opened: October 20, 2022
- Show Closed: January 15, 2023
Thoughts of a Colored Man
- Opened: October 21, 2021
- Show Closed: December 22, 2021
Slave Play 2019
- Opened: October 6, 2019
- Show Closed: January 19, 2020
Hillary and Clinton
- Opened: April 18, 2019
- Show Closed: June 23, 2019
The Waverly Gallery
- Opened: October 25, 2018
- Show Closed: January 27, 2019
Three Tall Women
- Opened: March 29, 2018
- Show Closed: June 24, 2018
A Doll's House, Part 2
- Opened: April 27, 2017
- Show Closed: September 24, 2017
- Opened: September 29, 2016
- Show Closed: January 8, 2017
The Gin Game
- Opened: October 14, 2015
- Show Closed: January 10, 2016
A Delicate Balance
- Opened: November 20, 2014
- Show Closed: February 22, 2015
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
- Opened: March 14, 2013
- Show Closed: August 25, 2013
John Golden Theatre History
The John Golden Theatre, built in 1927, was originally called the Theatre Masque. It was one of the theaters built by the Chanin Brothers, the duo responsible for several Broadway houses. However, the moguls lost control of their theatre empire during the Depression, and as a result the Majestic Theatre, Royale Theatre, and Theatre Masque were acquired by the Shuberts.
With only 805 seats, the John Golden Theatre is one of the smallest theaters that the Chanin brothers built and was designed to house more intimate plays.
From 1927 till 1937 this theatre was named the Theatre Masque and was renamed to the John Golden Theatre, after the illustrious Broadway producer who bought the theatre and named it after himself.
For a few years in the mid-'40s, the theater was leased as a movie house, but for most of its life this space has proven to be a great home for plays and small-cast musicals, as the small size of the theater provides an intimate setting.
Notable Shows at This Theatre
The premiere show at Theatre Masque was Puppets of Passion, an Italian play. The Theatre Masque’s biggest hit was a drama in 1929 called Rope’s End by Patrick Hamilton, influenced by the murderers Leopold and Loeb.
In 1953, after it had been named the John Golden Theatre, Victor Borge had a big hit here with his one-man show, and the Pulitzer Prize winning The Gin Game won Jessica Tandy a Tony Award for her performance.
More recently, the John Golden Theatre has been home to acclaimed plays like Master Class and Side Man, the popular puppet musical Avenue Q, Driving Miss Daisy starring James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave, and the acclaimed revival of The Normal Heart.
John Golden Theatre Design
The façade of the Golden Theatre was part of a single wall of variegated brick with three blind arches. The building was designed in the Spanish Renaissance style and the interior had a strong Spanish flavor.
It was designed in the Mission Revival style, with rough plaster walls, wrought iron fixtures, and a beamed ceiling.