Directions & Box Office
- Directions: By Subway, take the A/C/E to 42nd Street, walk north on Eight Avenue and then turn right onto 45th Street. Or take the 1/2/3 to 42nd Street, walk north on Seventh Avenue and then make a left onto 45th Street.
- Entrance: 45th Street, between 7th and 8th Ave The Booth Theater is located on the south side of 45th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue.
- Box Office Hours:
- Monday - Saturday:
- 10am - 8pm
- 12pm - 6pm
Best Seats In The House
- Seats: 783
Because of its modest size of only 783 seats, the historic space has good sightlines from almost every seat.
There is a center aisle running through most of the orchestra, so the very best seats would either be right along that aisle or in the center front of the mezzanine.
Some seats in the far back row of the Booth Theatre have very little legroom, so getting a seat closer to the stage or getting a seat next to an aisle is a good idea.
Parking for Booth Theatre
The closest parking garages for Booth Theatre are located at:
- Quik Park Garage
- 223 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10019
- Crowne Garage LLC
- 215 West 49th Street
New York, NY 10001
The closest parking is not always the best as it often takes longer to park and retrieve your vehicle as fellow theatre goers have the same idea. A better choice of parking may be the second choice or further away by a couple of Avenues.
Landlord: Shubert Organization
Official Ticketer: Telecharge
Notes:Frequently houses plays and limited-run shows.
Now Playing Kimberly Akimbo
Booth Theatre History
The Booth Theatre was named in honor of 19th century actor Edwin Booth, better known today as the brother of John Wilkes-Booth, but in his time he was one of the most celebrated actors in America.
Original Booth Theatre Built in 1869
The theatre was built by producers Lee Shubert and Winthrop Ames, the Booth Theatre is actually the second theatre to bear the name -- Edwin had erected the original in 1869. It was located at 6th Avenue and 23rd Street and was to function as the actor's theatrical home-base. Financial hardship forced him to give it up a few years later, and not long after the theater was closed down permanently.
New Booth Theatre 1913
The new Booth Theatre opened in 1913 and once contained an huge archive of the Edwin Booth's memorabilia that included items such items as props and advertisements for plays in which he had appeared. As time went on, interest in Edwin Booth waned, and now he bears little more than a footnote in history.
Running alongside the Booth (as well as the Shubert Theatre) is the famed Shubert Alley, which is filled with current Broadway show posters and provides a convenient shortcut between 44th and 45th streets. Also in the alley is a cozy theater gift shop made from one of the Booth Theatre's old dressing rooms.
Booth Theatre Design
The theatre was originally designed by architect Henry B. Herts in an Italian Renaissance style. The Booth underwent a restoration by Melanie Kahane in the late 1970s. The theater seats 785 and is owned by the Shubert Organization.