TKTS Booth is the discount Broadway Ticket Stand in Times Square that sells bargain tickets and half price Broadway Tickets to the public.
There are currently three TKTS ticket booths in New York City and they are run by the TDF (Theatre Development Fund) - The TKTS booths are located in: Times Square, South Street Seaport and Downtown Brooklyn. The booths offer half price tickets in NYC for Broadway shows.
The TKTS ticket stands offer same-day discount tickets to Broadway shows, Off-Broadway, and other arts events at up to 50% off their original prices. The ticket stands make it very convenient to purchase same-day Broadway tickets at a discounted price, so it’s a very popular spot for tourists.
On the flip side, seasoned Broadway theatre goers already know that you can get the same kind of discounts to Broadway shows, but in in advance, by using discount Broadway ticket codes instead. The discount Broadway ticket codes also have more inventory, you can actually pick your seat and have the added advantage of not having to get on a long line in the street in all types of weather.
Click Here for more on Broadway ticket discount codes
Other than just patrons looking for discount Broadway Tickets, the line at the Times Square TKTS booth can often besieged by tourist company representatives hawking everything from bus tours to adult clubs, making it a bit of zoo in the heart of the city. This location also has some entertainment to pass the time in the form of "The naked cowboy" who braves all weathers with nothing more than a pair of short shorts to play his guitar and take photos with tourists.
TKTS Booth Locations:
Long Lines, But Big Ticket Discounts At The Half Price Ticket Stand
If you do find yourself at the Times Square TKTS booth and the line is long, don't be too discouraged because it moves quickly and that gives you time to decide which show you want tickets for. You'll find a board up at the front that lists what shows are available that day. Discount tickets that are available at the booth are generally for Broadway shows on the wane, which are getting much lower audience attendance than in their heyday, but are still great theatre. Just don't expect the most popular Broadway shows to be available -- because if they can fill the seats at full price, there is no reason why they would sell them for half the value. However, you can find tickets for more popular Broadway shows available at a 20%,30%, 40% and even 50% discount. Note: TKTS always charges an additional $4.00 per ticket service charge.
TKTS Myths Examined:
TKTS Myth No.1 : Best Seats When it First Opens
Unfortunately, the TKTS staff people won't let you actually choose your seats once you get to the ticket window. They usually have a stack of tickets for each available Broadway show and will just give you the ones from the top. The good news, though, is that most of the tickets that the Broadway shows earmarked to be sold at the half-price booth are for the orchestra and front mezzanine, so it's likely that you'll get pretty good seats. Also, it's a common misconception that all the best seats will be available when the booth first opens, but that isn't necessarily the case. Broadway shows continue to send tickets over to the booth throughout the day, depending upon how ticket sales are going at the theater's box office (For the full retail price) so even if you don't get in line until the evening, you still may grab some great seats and even better prices.
TKTS Myth No.2 : TKTS Has The Best Discounts
Although a lot of people do it and the TKTS discount ticket stand has some great Broadway ticket bargains, they are usually not the lowest priced Broadway Tickets. Our Discount Broadway Ticket List provides the very best ticket discounts, that are actually all available in advance - The tickets at the TKTS ticket stand can only be purchased on the day of the show and when there is enough ticket inventory left.
TKTS Myth No.3 : The Times Square TKTS Location Has The Best Ticket Inventory
Most people flock to the Times Square TKTS location for their Broadway ticket discounts, but the South Street Seaport and Downtown Brooklyn locations are open a full four-hours before the Times Square location and thus always have the best ticket inventory. All TKTS tickets are electronic and any of the tickets can be sold at any of the three TKTS locations.
Tips for Buying Tickets at The TKTS Tickets Booth
- Arrive at the TKTS booth soon as it opens (Or earlier) if you're looking for tickets to one of the more popular shows
- The Times Square TKTS booths now accept credit cards, but the other one do not - Make sure you stop at an ATM first only cash or traveler's checks are accepted at those.
- There is now a $4 per ticket surcharge at the booth
- As time goes on through the day, tickets are still available. So, at 7 or 7:30PM, you will be able to buy tickets with little or no wait in line. In fact, additional tickets often go on sale shortly before the start of a performance. However, you do run the risk of having a more limited choice at that point.
- If you get tickets at the last minute from the Times Square booth you can go straight from the TKTS stand to most Broadway theaters in under 5 minutes.
- Be aware that some shows -- particularly Off-Broadway shows and some music/dance events -- can be in more far-flung Manhattan locations, so ask where the venue is before you buy.
- If you plan to get tickets for a play (rather than a musical), go to the window at the Times Square TKTS booth that is specified as "Plays Only," so you'll want to get in line there to move through faster.
- The line you'll be waiting in is outdoors in the open air, so dress accordingly, rain or shine
- Beware the scalpers and street vendors at the ticket booth, they will try to sell you pretty much anything