It used to be that Broadway productions launched tours, but now the Great White Way is serving as a landing pad as well. Recent examples include Hair and Fela!, which had successful Broadway productions, went out on tour, and then returned to Broadway for limited engagements. Bring It On, now playing at the St. James Theatre, toured before landing on Broadway in a production that has already extended due to ticket demand.
The latest to follow this trend is Jekyll & Hyde, which is currently mounting a national tour starring former American Idol contestant Constantine Maroulis (Rock of Ages). The tour begins previews in La Mirada, California in September before going on to stops all across the country. Jekyll & Hyde will finally make its way to Broadway’s Richard Rodgers Theatre in April 2013.
This production will be a Broadway revival for Jekyll & Hyde, which was originally produced on Broadway — with Robert Cuccioli in the title role(s) — in 1997 and ran until 2001. Based on the Robert Louis Stevenson story, the musical has a book and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and music by Frank Wildhorn, and features one of modern musical theater’s most well-known songs, “This Is the Moment”.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- Bette Midler Bids Adieu to “Hello, Dolly!” - January 19, 2018
- “Miss Saigon” Revival Closes at the Broadway Theatre - January 12, 2018
- Michael Luwoye to Be Next Broadway “Hamilton” - January 6, 2018
- “Home for the Holidays” Closes After Dismal Run - December 29, 2017
- “The Play That Goes Wrong” is Longest-Running Play on Broadway - December 24, 2017