Last night at the Drama Desk Awards, which celebrate everything from Broadway to Off-Off Broadway, it was no surprise when The Coast of Utopia took Best Play and Spring Awakening took Best Musical. Nor did anyone raise any eyebrow when Journey’s End and Company snagged Best Play and Musical Revival, respectively. What was unusual was the fact that there were two ties: Beloved Broadway divas Audra McDonald (110 in the Shade) and Donna Murphy (LoveMusik) shared the Best Actress in a Musical award. Even more interesting, Company revival orchestrator Mary-Mitchell Campbell shared the award with the man who wrote the orchestrations for the original Broadway production of that show, Jonathan Tunick (he won for LoveMusik).
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- “It Shoulda Been You” Box Office Unmoved By Reviews - May 28, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 5/10/2015 - May 12, 2015
- “Doctor Zhivago” Begins Performances - April 22, 2015
- “The Visit” Starts Performances on Broadway - April 17, 2015
- “If/Then” Concludes Its Run - April 10, 2015