Last night at the Drama Desk Awards, which celebrate everything from Broadway to Off-Off Broadway, it was no surprise when The Coast of Utopia took Best Play and Spring Awakening took Best Musical. Nor did anyone raise any eyebrow when Journey’s End and Company snagged Best Play and Musical Revival, respectively. What was unusual was the fact that there were two ties: Beloved Broadway divas Audra McDonald (110 in the Shade) and Donna Murphy (LoveMusik) shared the Best Actress in a Musical award. Even more interesting, Company revival orchestrator Mary-Mitchell Campbell shared the award with the man who wrote the orchestrations for the original Broadway production of that show, Jonathan Tunick (he won for LoveMusik).
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- The Triple Crown At The TONY Awards® - July 7, 2014
- Barbara Walters Says Farewell to “The View” - May 29, 2014
- Annette Bening joins John Lithgow in “King Lear” - May 24, 2014
- Broadway Fall 2014 Line-Up Falling into Place - May 15, 2014
- “Bullets Over Broadway” Opens at the St. James Theatre - May 9, 2014