Last night at the Drama Desk Awards, which celebrate everything from Broadway to Off-Off Broadway, it was no surprise when The Coast of Utopia took Best Play and Spring Awakening took Best Musical. Nor did anyone raise any eyebrow when Journey’s End and Company snagged Best Play and Musical Revival, respectively. What was unusual was the fact that there were two ties: Beloved Broadway divas Audra McDonald (110 in the Shade) and Donna Murphy (LoveMusik) shared the Best Actress in a Musical award. Even more interesting, Company revival orchestrator Mary-Mitchell Campbell shared the award with the man who wrote the orchestrations for the original Broadway production of that show, Jonathan Tunick (he won for LoveMusik).
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- “The Iceman Cometh” Opens to Positive Reviews - May 3, 2018
- Bernard Shaw’s “Saint Joan” Opens to Mixed Reviews - April 29, 2018
- “My Fair Lady” Opens to Generally Positive Reviews - April 22, 2018
- “Carousel” Opens to Generally Positive Reviews - April 15, 2018
- Broadway Shows – Snow Storms, Blizzard Conditions and Show Cancellations - March 7, 2018