The new Roundabout Theatre Company production of the 1970 play The Philanthropist, directed by David Grindley, starts performances at the American Airlines Theatre on Broadway today, April 10. The production stars Matthew Broderick, who has appeared on Broadway in such shows as How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, The Producers, and The Odd Couple. In The Philanthropist, which playwright Christopher Hampton (Les Liaisons Dangereuses) wrote as a response to Moliere’s classic The Misanthrope, Broderick plays a university professor oblivious to the chaos around him. Also starring in this production are actors Steven Weber, Jonathan Cake, Anna Madeley, Samantha Soule, Jennifer Mudge, and Tate Ellington. The Philanthropist will have its official Broadway opening at the American Airlines on April 26, and the play is scheduled to have a limited run through June 28.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Sunday in the Park with George” Completes Run - May 19, 2017
- Lillian Hellman’s “The Little Foxes” is a Critical Hit! - May 11, 2017
- “Groundhog Day” Opens to Rave Reviews - May 4, 2017
- “Present Laughter” Earns Generally Positive Reviews - April 27, 2017
- Paula Vogel’s “Indecent” Earns Rave Reviews - April 22, 2017