A special concert, “From Broadway with Love: A Benefit Concert for Sandy Hook,” will air on PBS stations in the New York City tri-state area this month. WLIW21 will air the hour-long broadcast version of the concert on July 18 at 10pm, with WNET/13 and CPTV showing it at 10pm on July 26, and NJTV broadcasting it on July 30 at 10pm.
Originally taped at the Palace Theater in Waterbury, Connecticut this past January, “From Broadway With Love” was designed as a way for the Broadway community to show its support for the Newtown community in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting. Students from Sandy Hook Elementary, the Newtown High School Chamber Choir, and from a number of Newtown dance groups took part.
Broadway stars featured in the benefit concert include performers Brian Stokes Mitchell (Ragtime) and Linda Eder, Broadway composers Stephen Schwartz, Frank Wildhorn, and Marc Shaiman, and many other Broadway notables. “Seasons of Love” (Rent), “Beautiful City” (Godspell), “Somewhere” (West Side Story), “You Can’t Stop the Beat” (Hairspray), and “The Impossible Dream” (Man of La Mancha) are among the Broadway songs performed during the concert.
All proceeds from the benefit concert have gone to the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- Late Show with Stephen Colbert Announces First Week Line Up - August 28, 2015
- “Penn & Teller” Completes Its Limited Engagement - August 17, 2015
- Casting Announced for “She Loves Me” on Broadway - August 1, 2015
- “Amazing Grace” Continues Fight Against The Odds - July 27, 2015
- Deaf West “Spring Awakening” Comes to Broadway This Fall - July 11, 2015