9 To 5, the musical version of the 1980 film starring Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, and Lily Tomlin, closed at the Marquis Theatre on Broadway today. With a book by Patricia Resnick, 9 To 5 featured a brand new slate of songs written by Dolly Parton, along with Parton’s hit title song for the movie. The Joe Mantello-directed musical comedy starred Allison Janney (The West Wing), Stephanie J. Block, Meg Hilty (in the Parton role), and Marc Kudisch as their sexist pig boss. Despite having a known title, a big screen star in the cast, and the talents of Dolly Parton, 9 To 5 scored low with the critics and didn’t manage to get a Tony Award nomination for Best Musical. Audience reaction was more positive, but not enough to keep the show alive on Broadway for more than five months. However, a tour is being planned.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- Bette Midler and Donna Murphy Back in “Hello, Dolly!” - June 3, 2018
- “Children of a Lesser God” Concludes Its Run - May 27, 2018
- “The Iceman Cometh” Opens to Positive Reviews - May 3, 2018
- Bernard Shaw’s “Saint Joan” Opens to Mixed Reviews - April 29, 2018
- “My Fair Lady” Opens to Generally Positive Reviews - April 22, 2018