9 To 5, the musical version of the 1980 film starring Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, and Lily Tomlin, closed at the Marquis Theatre on Broadway today. With a book by Patricia Resnick, 9 To 5 featured a brand new slate of songs written by Dolly Parton, along with Parton’s hit title song for the movie. The Joe Mantello-directed musical comedy starred Allison Janney (The West Wing), Stephanie J. Block, Meg Hilty (in the Parton role), and Marc Kudisch as their sexist pig boss. Despite having a known title, a big screen star in the cast, and the talents of Dolly Parton, 9 To 5 scored low with the critics and didn’t manage to get a Tony Award nomination for Best Musical. Audience reaction was more positive, but not enough to keep the show alive on Broadway for more than five months. However, a tour is being planned.
Ontario, Canada is a long time behind Carly, but still loves Toronto (go Leafs!) Carly likes to write about Broadway happenings that are a little less mainstream
Favorite Saying: "The enlightened are free from doubt, the virtuous from anxiety, and the brave from fear."
Latest posts by Carly White - Broadway Ticket Expert (see all)
- Broadway Musical Taboo Stages Reunion Concert - February 7, 2014
- Tony n’ Tina Coming Back to Off-Broadway - January 13, 2014
- Real Housewives Star To Perform Off-Broadway - December 13, 2013
- Twelfth Night Goes Off-Broadway - December 7, 2013
- Broadway Schedule Changes for Thanksgiving Week - November 23, 2013