9 To 5, the musical version of the 1980 film starring Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, and Lily Tomlin, closed at the Marquis Theatre on Broadway today. With a book by Patricia Resnick, 9 To 5 featured a brand new slate of songs written by Dolly Parton, along with Parton’s hit title song for the movie. The Joe Mantello-directed musical comedy starred Allison Janney (The West Wing), Stephanie J. Block, Meg Hilty (in the Parton role), and Marc Kudisch as their sexist pig boss. Despite having a known title, a big screen star in the cast, and the talents of Dolly Parton, 9 To 5 scored low with the critics and didn’t manage to get a Tony Award nomination for Best Musical. Audience reaction was more positive, but not enough to keep the show alive on Broadway for more than five months. However, a tour is being planned.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- Tony Awards TV Viewership Down 10 Percent Despite Record Breaking Broadway Season - June 10, 2015
- “An Act of God” Opens on Broadway - June 5, 2015
- “It Shoulda Been You” Box Office Unmoved By Reviews - May 28, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 5/10/2015 - May 12, 2015
- “Doctor Zhivago” Begins Performances - April 22, 2015