After over two years running on Broadway, The Color Purple has announced that it will be closing next month. The musical version of Alice Walker’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel will have its final performance at the Broadway Theatre on February 24th. Produced by Oprah Winfrey (who co-starred in the film adaptation of the novel), The Color Purple did good business for most of its run — only recently did it start running out of steam. The show got a big boost last year when American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino took over the lead role of Celie from Tony Award winner LaChanze. The current cast features another idol, LaKisha Jones, as well as performers Bebe Winans and Chaka Khan. Though The Color Purple will soon be gone from Broadway, it is survived by a national tour.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “An Act of God” Begins Previews - May 24, 2015
- America Got Talent AGT Begins Audition Shows in NJPAC - March 4, 2015
- “Honeymoon in Vegas” Begins Previews on Broadway - December 6, 2014
- Peter Pan Musical To Be Aired Live on TV - February 15, 2014
- NYC Super Bowl Event Will Feature Jersey Boys - January 24, 2014