The Drama Desk Awards, which honor the best shows and performers on Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off-Broadway, were held last night. August: Osage County took Best Play, Passing Strange won for Best Musical, and the top revival awards went to Boeing-Boeing and South Pacific. Gypsy nabbed three performance awards, for Patti Lupone, Laura Benanti, and Boyd Gaines. As expected Cry-Baby won for its excellent choreography, The 39 Steps won Unique Theatrical Experience, and Sunday in the Park with George got an award for its clever video/projection design. Best Music and Best Lyrics went to Passing Strange, while Best Book of a Musical was awarded to Xanadu.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Heisenberg” Begins Previews with Mary-Louise Parker - September 24, 2016
- “Jersey Boys” Announces Closing, “Groundhog Day” to Replace It - September 16, 2016
- Sean Hayes Wraps Up Run in “An Act of God” - September 3, 2016
- SNL Undergoes Summer Talent and Cast Change - August 24, 2016
- Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo Musical Headed to Broadway - August 13, 2016