The Drama Desk Awards, which honor the best shows and performers on Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off-Broadway, were held last night. August: Osage County took Best Play, Passing Strange won for Best Musical, and the top revival awards went to Boeing-Boeing and South Pacific. Gypsy nabbed three performance awards, for Patti Lupone, Laura Benanti, and Boyd Gaines. As expected Cry-Baby won for its excellent choreography, The 39 Steps won Unique Theatrical Experience, and Sunday in the Park with George got an award for its clever video/projection design. Best Music and Best Lyrics went to Passing Strange, while Best Book of a Musical was awarded to Xanadu.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- New Musical “Come From Away” Commences - February 18, 2017
- Six New Broadway Shows to Begin in February - January 28, 2017
- “Jitney” Opens on Broadway to Rave Reviews - January 21, 2017
- Tony Winning Play “The Humans” Concludes - January 14, 2017
- “Matilda,” “Something Rotten!” Close New Year’s Day - January 1, 2017