The Drama Desk Awards, which honor the best shows and performers on Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off-Broadway, were held last night. August: Osage County took Best Play, Passing Strange won for Best Musical, and the top revival awards went to Boeing-Boeing and South Pacific. Gypsy nabbed three performance awards, for Patti Lupone, Laura Benanti, and Boyd Gaines. As expected Cry-Baby won for its excellent choreography, The 39 Steps won Unique Theatrical Experience, and Sunday in the Park with George got an award for its clever video/projection design. Best Music and Best Lyrics went to Passing Strange, while Best Book of a Musical was awarded to Xanadu.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Six Degrees of Separation” Opens on Broadway - May 27, 2017
- “Natasha, Pierre” Sees Boost from Tony Nominations - May 16, 2017
- Bette Midler in “Hello, Dolly!” Opens with a Bang - May 12, 2017
- “Indecent” Wows Critics But Struggles at Box Office - May 5, 2017
- New Musical “War Paint” Earns Mixed Reviews - April 28, 2017