Award-winning actress Cicely Tyson (The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, Sounder) will be coming back to the Broadway stage for the first time in 30 years in a new production of Horton Foote’s play The Trip to Bountiful, which will begin a limited 14-week run on March 31, 2013 at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre. The production will be directed by Michael Wilson.
Cicely Tyson will take on the role of Carrie Watts, an elderly woman who hopes to return to her hometown of Bountiful, Texas, but finds resistance in the form of her over-protective son and daughter-in-law. “In many ways Broadway is my Bountiful,” stated Tyson, “and I’m eager and honored to return with this strong, passionate, and funny character in a timeless American classic.”
Tyson was last seen on Broadway in the 1983 revival of The Corn is Green. Among her many other Broadway credits are Trumpets of the Lord, The Cool World, and Jolly’s Progress. Cicely Tyson’s TV credits include the acclaimed mini-series Roots and her film credits include The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Fried Green Tomatoes, Madea’s Family Reunion, and The Help.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Blackbird” Begins Previews at the Belasco Theatre - February 7, 2016
- Stephen Karam’s Play “The Humans” Begins Previews - January 30, 2016
- “Hamilton” to Embark on National Tour from Chicago - January 17, 2016
- NBC’s “Meredith Vieira Show” Cancelled Due to Low Ratings - January 8, 2016
- “Fool For Love” Concludes With Strong Reviews and Passable Box Office - December 27, 2015