A re-invented take on the Andrew Lloyd Webber / Tim Rice classic Jesus Christ Superstar has just had a successful opening at London’s 02 Arena (better known as a concert stage and, more recently, Olympics venue). And now, theater fans across the Atlantic will get to view this production, dubbed the Jesus Christ Superstar UK Rock Spectacular, from the comfort of their local movie theaters. Select theaters in the U.S. will show the production on October 29 and then again on November 1. Visit www.FathomEvents.com to see where it is playing and to purchase tickets.
Jesus Christ Superstar has been on an arena tour throughout the United Kingdom. The broadcast being shown in movie theaters was recorded at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England earlier this month. Andrew Lloyd Webber was quoted as saying, “I have waited 42 years for ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ to play arenas in the UK, and it is great to finally see the show as it was originally intended, as an arena rock opera.”
The production stars Ben Forster, selected by the British public, in the role of Jesus. The rest of the cast features a number of personalities known in England, including Tim Minchin (co-author of the forthcoming Broadway musical Matilda) as Judas, DJ Chris Moyles as Herod, and Melanie C of the Spice Girls as Mary Magdalene.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Oh, Hello on Broadway” Opens to Mixed Reviews - October 20, 2016
- “The Encounter” Opens to Generally Positive Reviews - October 14, 2016
- Broadway Plays Leap Over Musicals as the Fall Season Gets Underway - October 12, 2016
- SNL Season 42 Starts With Record Viewership With Trump Clinton Sketch - October 3, 2016
- “The Front Page” Begins Previews at the Broadhurst Theatre - October 1, 2016