After just eight weeks on Broadway, the Nora Ephron play Lucky Guy has recouped its investment. Its very unusual for a Broadway show to earn back its capitalization so quickly, but then again there is no other Broadway show out there featuring international film star Tom Hanks, who is making his Broadway debut in Lucky Guy.
In addition to its excellent financial performance, the producers have another reason to be happy: Lucky Guy recently earned a total of six Tony Award nominations. The play was recognized with nods for Best Play, Best Direction, Best Scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, Best Featured Actor (Courtney B. Vance), and Best Actor for Tom Hanks.
The story of colorful real-life New York City tabloid columnist Mike McAlary, Lucky Guy started preview performances on March 1st. The production continues its limited run at the Broadhurst Theatre through July 3.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- Lauded Revival of “Angels in America” Closes - July 14, 2018
- Stephen Payne Replaces Lead in “Straight White Men” - July 5, 2018
- Young Jean Lee’s “Straight White Men” Begins Previews - June 28, 2018
- Broadway-Bound “Cher Show” Launches in Chicago - June 21, 2018
- Tom Stoppard’s “Travesties” Concludes Run - June 14, 2018