Casting for the forthcoming movie version of Annie, starring Oscar nominee Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), continues. It has been announced that Cameron Diaz will take on the part of the harried and bitter orphanage matron Miss Hannigan. Cameron Diaz is a well-known film actress, having starred in movies such as There’s Something About Mary, Being John Malkovich, Shrek, and Charlie’s Angels.
The role of Miss Hannigan is currently being played by Jane Lynch (TV’s Glee) in the Broadway revival of Annie. When the production opened, Katie Finneran was playing the part. It was also notably played by Carol Burnett in the original film version of Annie.
The new Annie movie is being produced by Jay-Z and Will Smith. While it will include many of the Broadway musical’s classic songs, it will also incorporate new songs by Jay-Z. Jamie Foxx is set to co-star in the movie, playing the Daddy Warbucks character, renamed Benjamin Stacks.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- Tony Winner “Dear Evan Hansen” Enters Profits - July 20, 2017
- Best Play Winner “Oslo” Closes on Sunday, July 16th - July 13, 2017
- “Oslo” and “A Doll’s House, Part 2” Extend - July 7, 2017
- “The Little Foxes” Closes as Critical, not B.O., Hit - July 2, 2017
- “1984” Stage Play Opens to Mixed Reviews - June 30, 2017