Casting for the forthcoming movie version of Annie, starring Oscar nominee Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), continues. It has been announced that Cameron Diaz will take on the part of the harried and bitter orphanage matron Miss Hannigan. Cameron Diaz is a well-known film actress, having starred in movies such as There’s Something About Mary, Being John Malkovich, Shrek, and Charlie’s Angels.
The role of Miss Hannigan is currently being played by Jane Lynch (TV’s Glee) in the Broadway revival of Annie. When the production opened, Katie Finneran was playing the part. It was also notably played by Carol Burnett in the original film version of Annie.
The new Annie movie is being produced by Jay-Z and Will Smith. While it will include many of the Broadway musical’s classic songs, it will also incorporate new songs by Jay-Z. Jamie Foxx is set to co-star in the movie, playing the Daddy Warbucks character, renamed Benjamin Stacks.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- When Broadway Shows Struggle Financially, Producers Get Creative - May 22, 2016
- Tina Fey’s “Mean Girls” Destined for Broadway - May 15, 2016
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson Opens “Fully Committed” - May 5, 2016
- “The Father” Earns Mixed Reviews on Broadway - April 16, 2016
- “Shuffle Along” Begins Previews at the Music Box Theatre - March 24, 2016