Dame Edna Everage has her Honorary Understudy, and his name is Scott Mason. The honor was bestowed upon Mason on Wednesday morning when he won a contest being held at Henry Miller’s Theatre, where Dame Edna’s new show All About Me is soon opening. Among the contest’s judges, which scored the participants on criteria such as make-up, costume, and accent, were Michael Musto and New York Post columnist Michael Riedel. Dame Edna herself (aka Barry Humphries) and All About Me co-star Michael Feinstein had their say as well, of course. Although he will receive a credit in the show’s Playbill, Scott Mason’s role as official understudy will be purely honorary (after all, there is only one Dame Edna Everage). However, Mason is no stranger to playing the good Dame – he has worked extensively as a professional Dame Edna impersonator.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- “Waitress” All-Female Creative Team Earns Strong Reviews - May 1, 2016
- “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” Begins Previews - April 10, 2016
- Critics Love “Eclipsed,” But Box Office is Slow to Respond - March 17, 2016
- “A View from the Bridge” Ends Acclaimed Run in the Red - March 7, 2016
- Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong’o Stars in “Eclipsed” Now in Previews - March 2, 2016