Whether you live in Manhattan or Brooklyn, there are two free public concert programs not to miss this summer in these New York City boroughs. Central Park SummerStage, a program of the City Parks Foundation founded in 1986, presents a variety of free performing acts to the public. The performances and events are open to all ages and showcase music, dance, spoken word, and film. These are held in the various outdoor venues in Manhattan’s Central Park in New York City. The series began June 5 and will conclude August 16, so there is still time to catch a show. Some well-known names still to come this summer that are sure to draw large crowds are Jazmine Sullivan, Q-Tip, Chester French, Ginuwine, Bettye LaVette, Bela Fleck, The Pretenders, and Juliette Lewis.
Celebrate Brooklyn! is an outdoor performing arts festival offering free music, dance, theater, and film events in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park Bandshell. The program began June 8 this summer with a performance by Talking Heads frontman David Byrne, and will end August 15 with Animal Collective. Several other artists yet to perform this summer are Big Daddy Kane, Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal. The concert series is free but a $3 donation is suggested upon arrival. Celebrate Brooklyn! was launched in 1979.
Latest posts by Sangrit Malay (see all)
- “Hamilton” a Hit with the President, Celebrities, and Audiences - November 25, 2015
- “King Charles III” Opens at the Music Box Theatre - November 12, 2015
- “A View From The Bridge” Begins Previews at the Lyceum Theatre - October 24, 2015
- “Dames at Sea” Begins Previews on Broadway - September 27, 2015
- “Fool for Love” Begins Previews on Broadway - September 19, 2015