Pull out the Prada, ante up the Alexander McQueen, bring on the Badgley Mischka: It’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York. Designers showing their spring collections in the Bryant Park tents include cool insiders like 3.1 Phillip Lim and Carlos Miele, and more well-known names like Calvin Klein and BCBGMaxAzria.
If you’re not on a first-name basis with Gisele (the model) or Anna Wintour (the editor of Vogue), you’re probably not sitting in a first-row seat, but you can still enjoy the fun and spectacle vicariously—or even up close with Fashion’s Night Out.
Taking place tomorrow evening (September 10) Fashion’s Night Out offers designer devotees a chance to shop, shop, and shop some more. Running (mostly) from 6-11 PM, the event includes more than 700 designers and retailers, from trendy department stores like Barney’s to smaller chic boutiques like Jeffrey and Intermix. Celebrities and models will be on hand; shopping deals are to be had.
Big question: Will this kind of event fly in the midst of an economic downtown? Promoters say it will stimulate the economy by getting people into the stores, and help restore consumer confidence. (Fashion is the second largest sector of industry in New York, second only to finance.) We say, how many people have the money for a Judith Ripka jeweled handbag?
In any event, there is, as they say, nothing wrong with looking.
Check out fashionsnightout.com for more information.
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Box Office Plunges after Thanksgiving - December 7, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 12/04/2016 - December 6, 2016
- Hamilton’s Weekly Ticket Gross Exceeding $3 Million May Be Misleading - November 30, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/27/2016 - November 29, 2016
- Industry Dips as “Dear Evan Hansen” Thrives at B.O. - November 23, 2016