Maria von Trapp, the real-life woman first made famous onstage by Mary Martin and later made legendary by Julie Andrews on film, is now going to be played by Grammy Award-winner pop/country star and former American Idol winner Carrie Underwood. As previously announced, NBC will be airing a television version of the beloved Rodgers & Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music, and it has been announced that Underwood will star in the new movie musical.
Producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (NBC’s Broadway-themed drama Smash) said, “We’re thrilled to be presenting the Broadway version of The Sound of Music live, and having Carrie Underwood as the star brings it to a new generation who will fall in love with it for the first time as many millions of people already have.”
The exact air date for The Sound of Music, which will be broadcast live, has not yet been set, but it is likely to be scheduled for the holidays in 2013.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- Shubert Launches New Website TelechargeOffers - July 4, 2014
- Hugh Jackman to Host the 2014 Tony Awards, Sunday June 8, 2014 - March 8, 2014
- Broadway Stars at the 2014 Oscars - March 3, 2014
- Heterosexual Males Prove To Be An Elusive Audience For Broadway Producers - February 25, 2014
- Broadway Understudy Documentary Coming Soon to Theaters - February 17, 2014