The newest “Maggie the Cat” to grace Broadway will be Scarlett Johansson (The Avengers, The Nanny Diaries), the movie actress who wowed Broadway with a Tony Award winning turn in Arthur Miller’s A View From the Bridge in 2010. Now Johansson is taking on another classic, Tennessee Williams’ Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
The production will start performances at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on December 18, 2012, with the official opening planned for January 17, 2013. This production comes not long after another Broadway revival of the play in 2008, which featured an all-black cast headed by Terence Howard, James Earl Jones, Phylicia Rashad, and Anika Noni Rose.
Scarlett Johnasson will be joined onstage by Benjamin Walker, the breakout star of Broadway’s Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson who recently made his major film starring debut in this past summer’s historical comedy mash-up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Walker will take on the role of Brick, a part that the rumor mill had suggested might go to actor Chris Pine (of the Star Trek reboot) or Jeremy Renner (The Bourne Legacy, The Hurt Locker). British actor Ciaran Hinds (Broadway’s The Seafarer, the upcoming season of TV’s Game of Thrones) will play the part of Big Daddy and Broadway musical theater mainstay Debra Monk (Curtains, Steel Pier) will be Big Mama.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “The Encounter” Opens to Generally Positive Reviews - October 14, 2016
- Broadway Plays Leap Over Musicals as the Fall Season Gets Underway - October 12, 2016
- SNL Season 42 Starts With Record Viewership With Trump Clinton Sketch - October 3, 2016
- “The Front Page” Begins Previews at the Broadhurst Theatre - October 1, 2016
- Tony Award Best Musical Winner “Fun Home” Closes - September 23, 2016