The last time a John Waters movie was made into a musical, it made a tremendous splash on Broadway and went on to spawn a successful movie that is still raking in the bucks. So no doubt that the producers of Cry-Baby, the new musical based on Waters’ 1990 movie of the same name, are hoping to meet with similar success. A send-up of old Elvis films and other “bad boy” flicks of the ’50s, Cry-Baby starred Johnny Depp as a juvenile delinquent who falls for the classic good girl. The musical version, which has a book by Hairspray scribes Thomas Meehan and Mark O’Donnell, is expected to start previews on Broadway in March 2008, with an April opening.
Ontario, Canada is a long time behind Carly, but still loves Toronto (go Leafs!) Carly likes to write about Broadway happenings that are a little less mainstream
Favorite Saying: "The enlightened are free from doubt, the virtuous from anxiety, and the brave from fear."
Latest posts by Carly White - Broadway Ticket Expert (see all)
- Broadway Musical Taboo Stages Reunion Concert - February 7, 2014
- Tony n’ Tina Coming Back to Off-Broadway - January 13, 2014
- Real Housewives Star To Perform Off-Broadway - December 13, 2013
- Twelfth Night Goes Off-Broadway - December 7, 2013
- Broadway Schedule Changes for Thanksgiving Week - November 23, 2013