Forget about the fourth row seat, the tux, the chandeliers dimming. In fact, forget about seats, dressing up, and indoor lighting at all–New York’s Lincoln Center is moving outside, at least for the next three weeks.
From August 5-23, Lincoln Center Out of Doors takes center stage in this 39th incarnation of free performances, which occur all around the Center’s buildings. The festival features music and dance performances by a range of artists from around the world, and includes works commissioned especially for this event, as well as some premieres.
Modern dance fan? You got it. Jazz fiend? That’s there, too. Can’t get enough hip hop? Yes, that’s even there as well.
Highlights include well-known names like jazz greats The Dave Brubeck Quartet, and some names that may not be quite as familiar, like Iraqi-American jazz trumpeter Amir ElSaffar with the Two Rivers Large Ensemble.
Other performers include Hip Hop generation Next (which features a rap crew from Sierra Leone, Bajah + the Dry Eye Crew, on August 6); street bands marching through various venues (Aug 5-9); and, on the closing weekend (Aug. 22-23), the 26th Annual Roots of American Music Festival, celebrating renowned folk singer Odetta.
So yes–you can soak up culture and the sun at the same time!
Call (212) 875-5766 to request a brochure, or (212) 546-2656 for general information. Lincoln Center is located between West 62nd and 65th Streets and Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Hamilton’s Weekly Ticket Gross Exceeding $3 Million May Be Misleading - November 30, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/27/2016 - November 29, 2016
- Industry Dips as “Dear Evan Hansen” Thrives at B.O. - November 23, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/20/2016 - November 22, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/13/2016 - November 15, 2016