The New York City Mayor’s Office is shining a “Spotlight on Broadway” with a brand new website designed to highlight the Broadway theater district. Currently SpotlightonBroadway.com, which launched today, September 9, features informative videos on five Broadway theaters (Al Hirschfeld Theatre, August Wilson Theatre, Booth Theatre, Majestic Theatre, and the Richard Rodgers Theatre). Videos on the rest of Broadway’s theaters are expected to appear in 2013, when the site has its full launch.
The videos are designed to be more than simple promotional videos. Incorporating interviews, photos, and historical information, the videos are much like short documentaries that create an archive of Broadway’s past and present.
The Spotlight on Broadway website has been unveiled in conjunction with the announcement of the NYC Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment’s Spotlight Awards, which honor people who have contributed to the Broadway theater for 10 or more years in the following areas: Industry Support, Actors, Behind-the-Scenes Talent, and Producers.
The recipients of this year’s Spotlight Awards, which were announced at the Times Square “Broadway on Broadway” concert today, include musical theater legend Chita Rivera; composer Charles Strouse; actress Arlene Dahl; actor-director-choreographer Tommy Tune; actor and Actor’s Equity Assocation president Nick Wyman; International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees president Matthew D. Loeb; Nederlander Organization chairman James M. Nederlander; and general manager Nina Lannan.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen - Broadway Show Maven (see all)
- Hugh Jackman to Host the 2014 Tony Awards, Sunday June 8, 2014 - March 8, 2014
- Broadway Stars at the 2014 Oscars - March 3, 2014
- Heterosexual Males Prove To Be An Elusive Audience For Broadway Producers - February 25, 2014
- Dodger Theatricals’ Matilda Offers Discount Tickets At The TKTS Booth, But Nowhere Else - February 24, 2014
- Broadway Understudy Documentary Coming Soon to Theaters - February 17, 2014