The nominations for the 63rd Annual Tony Awards have been announced, and Billy Elliot leads the pack with 15 nominations, tying it with The Producers as the Broadway show with the most Tony Award nods in history. The original new Broadway musical Next To Normal received 11 nominations, Hair and Shrek the Musical grabbed eight, and Mary Stuart and The Norman Conquests were the plays that received the most recognition, each getting seven nominations. Significant snubs this year include the well-received production of The Seagull starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Peter Saarsgard, the new Jason Robert Brown musical 13, and the new revival of Desire Under the Elms starring Brian Dennehy. Other surprises include Daniel Radcliffe’s failure to secure a Best Actor nod for his work in Equus, 9 To 5 being shut out of the Best Musical category, and John Goodman and Bill Irwin (both in Waiting For Godot) being snubbed. The Tony Awards ceremony will air on CBS on June 7, broadcast live from Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “SpongeBob SquarePants” to End in September - July 13, 2018
- Michael Jackson Broadway Musical in Development - July 6, 2018
- “Escape to Margaritaville” Closes to Little Fanfare - June 29, 2018
- Go-Go’s Musical “Head Over Heels” Begins Previews - June 22, 2018
- “Moulin Rouge!” to Begin Pre-Broadway Engagement - June 16, 2018