United Airlines is sponsoring a free outdoor Broadway concert today, August 23, from 12:30-1:15pm in downtown Manhattan. Hosted by Tony Award winners Judy Kaye and Michael McGrath, the concert will be held at the World Financial Center Plaza, located at 220 Vesey Street (between North End Avenue and West Street).
Designed to be a sort of “sneak peek” of the upcoming annual “Broadway on Broadway” concert, a free event held right in Times Square each September, this Taste of Broadway is scheduled to feature performances from five different Broadway musicals. Though the schedule is subject to change, the shows currently on the docket are Chicago, Mamma Mia!, Nice Work If You Can Get It, Rock of Ages, and The Phantom of the Opera.
The show is being done in a bare bones format, so gone are all the great costumes and impressive sets, but what remains is the superb singing from these great Broadway actors that bring their characters to life on stage eight times a week.
Given the variety of participating Broadway shows, there will be a little something for everyone at Taste of Broadway, so it is an ideal opportunity for the downtown lunchtime crowd to enjoy a bit of music with their lunch.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “The Price” Closes to Mixed Critical and Commercial Success - June 8, 2017
- “Bandstand” Musical Opens to Mixed Reviews - June 2, 2017
- “Six Degrees of Separation” Opens on Broadway - May 27, 2017
- “Natasha, Pierre” Sees Boost from Tony Nominations - May 16, 2017
- Bette Midler in “Hello, Dolly!” Opens with a Bang - May 12, 2017