The life of an understudy is unknown to most people, but soon that will change with the new documentary, The Standbys. The film about Broadway understudies will be released in movie theaters starting February 21.
The Standbys follows three Broadway actors: Ben Crawford (standby in Shrek the Musical and Big Fish); Merwin Foard (standby for Gomez in The Addams Family); and Alena Watters (standby for Anita in the West Side Story revival).
In addition to following those three understudies “through their ups and downs, struggles and triumphs, onstage performances and private lives,” The Standbys also includes interviews with a number of Broadway luminaries, such as David Hyde Pierce, Zachary Quinto, Bebe Neuwirth, Sutton Foster, Brian d’Arcy James, Katie Finneran, and Cheyenne Jackson.
To learn more, visit www.TheStandbys.com.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Sweat” and “Sunset Boulevard” Close on June 25 - June 25, 2017
- “Amélie,” Snubbed at Tony’s, Closes Early - June 10, 2017
- Broadway Ticket Revenue Boom Offers a False Reality - June 4, 2017
- “Anastasia” Musical Opens to Mixed Reviews - May 26, 2017
- “Sunday in the Park with George” Completes Run - May 19, 2017