Soul Doctor, the Broadway show that tried to combine Fiddler on the Roof , Jersey Boys, Hair and Motown The Musical closed after 32 preview performances and 66 regular performances on The Great White Way. The show had received mixed reviews both on and off Broadway, where it began last year.
The show was produced by Jeremy Chess and had been in the bottom five earning Broadway shows since it opened on July 17 2013. It offered orchestra tickets at just $77 to encourage theatre-goers, but to no avail. It failed to capture both the current vein of enthusiasm for Motown-esqe shows on Broadway and the Jewish community’s interest – with ultra soft sales since Labor day.
It is expected that this musical closed with an overall loss for financial investors.
Last weeks ticket sales were $111,912 with just 3,849 people attending that account for 68.50% of the available seats, but with a very low average of just $29.08 per ticket, presumably they were papering the theatre, to try to get something going before closing.
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 12/03/17 - December 6, 2017
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 11/26/17 - November 29, 2017
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 11/19/17 - November 22, 2017
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 11/12/17 - November 15, 2017
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 11/05/17 - November 8, 2017