Broadway gets rocking on November 11 when Rockers on Broadway takes over (le) Poisson Rouge. The benefit concert will celebrate the collaboration between The Who’s Pete Townshend and Broadway director Des McAnuff, who worked together to bring The Who’s Tommy to Broadway in 1993.
Founded by Donnie Kehr (an original member of the Broadway cast of Tommy), Rockers on Broadway is held periodically to give Broadway performers a chance to rock out in support of charity. This newest concert will raise funds for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, The Broadway Dreams Foundation, and the ASCAP Foundation’s Children Will Listen Program.
“Rockers began because Pete wanted Tommy‘s cast of Broadway performers to get some experience performing in rock clubs to understand what he did,” stated Kehr. “So our first event actually had rock god Pete Townshend playing backup for Alice Ripley, Norm Lewis, Michael Cerveris, myself and others to help give our Broadway performances a rock n’ roll edge. And that spirit has guided 20 years of Rockers On Broadway.”
The performance line-up for Rockers on Broadway has not yet been announced, but further information can be found at rockersonbroadway.com. Tickets start at $30. Call 212-505-3474 to purchase.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- “Hamilton” Secondary Market Ticket Prices Crash - September 18, 2017
- Stephen Colbert Takes The Late Show to Russia - June 27, 2017
- Check Out the 71st Annual Tony Award Winners! - June 12, 2017
- Megyn Kelly Announces Timing and Format of Her Two New NBC Shows - May 16, 2017
- How Will The Juggernaut Harry Potter Fare Against NYC Broadway Shows - April 18, 2017