Rodgers & Hammerstein’s musical Cinderella will be enchanting Broadway this season when it begins performances at the Broadway Theatre on January 21, 2013. Originally written for television, this lovely, comic 1957 musical will in fact be making its Broadway debut. Rodgers & Hammerstein provide the memorable score, which includes such tunes as “In My Own Little Corner” and “Do I Love You Because You’re Beautiful?”. Hammerstein originally wrote the show’s book, but this production will be using a new adaptation written by playwright Douglas Carter Beane (The Little Dog Laughed, Lysistrata Jones).
Laura Osnes (who famously found Broadway stardom through the reality show Grease: You’re the One That I Want) will star as Cinderella, and Santino Fontana (The Importance of Being Earnest) will be her charming Prince. The production will also include such well-loved Broadway veterans as Victoria Clark, Harriet Harris, Peter Barlett, and Ann Harada.
The original TV version of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cindrella starred Julie Andrews. A 1965 remake featured Lesley Ann Warren as the famed fairy tale character. R&B pop singer Brandy took on the role in a 1997 television version that also featured Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother. This new Broadway production will have its official opening night on February 21.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Our Mother’s Brief Affair” and “Noises Off” Open - January 23, 2016
- Lion King and Hamilton Online Ticket Lotteries Begin - January 6, 2016
- “Noises Off” Begins Previews at the American Airlines Theatre - January 2, 2016
- 2015/2016 New Year Holiday Broadway Show Schedule - December 22, 2015
- “The Illusionists: Live on Broadway” – The Magic is Back - December 12, 2015