Rodgers & Hammerstein’s musical Cinderella will be enchanting Broadway this season when it begins performances at the Broadway Theatre on January 21, 2013. Originally written for television, this lovely, comic 1957 musical will in fact be making its Broadway debut. Rodgers & Hammerstein provide the memorable score, which includes such tunes as “In My Own Little Corner” and “Do I Love You Because You’re Beautiful?”. Hammerstein originally wrote the show’s book, but this production will be using a new adaptation written by playwright Douglas Carter Beane (The Little Dog Laughed, Lysistrata Jones).
Laura Osnes (who famously found Broadway stardom through the reality show Grease: You’re the One That I Want) will star as Cinderella, and Santino Fontana (The Importance of Being Earnest) will be her charming Prince. The production will also include such well-loved Broadway veterans as Victoria Clark, Harriet Harris, Peter Barlett, and Ann Harada.
The original TV version of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cindrella starred Julie Andrews. A 1965 remake featured Lesley Ann Warren as the famed fairy tale character. R&B pop singer Brandy took on the role in a 1997 television version that also featured Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother. This new Broadway production will have its official opening night on February 21.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen - Broadway Show Maven (see all)
- Hugh Jackman to Host the 2014 Tony Awards, Sunday June 8, 2014 - March 8, 2014
- Broadway Stars at the 2014 Oscars - March 3, 2014
- Heterosexual Males Prove To Be An Elusive Audience For Broadway Producers - February 25, 2014
- Dodger Theatricals’ Matilda Offers Discount Tickets At The TKTS Booth, But Nowhere Else - February 24, 2014
- Broadway Understudy Documentary Coming Soon to Theaters - February 17, 2014