The high school sitcom Saved By the Bell is getting an unauthorized parody tribute with Bayside! The Musical!, which will start performances at the Off-Broadway space Theatre 80 (80 St. Mark’s Place) on September 12. Bob and Tobly McSmith penned the music, lyrics, and book to the musical, while Jason Wise provides choreography.
Airing from 1989 to 1993, Saved By the Bell was a light-hearted NBC show that launched the careers of actors such as Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, Elizabeth Berkley, and Mario Lopez.
The show’s press notes state that, “Bayside! The Musical! tackles all the tough questions: Will Zack and Kelly break up? Will Slater quit wrestling forever? Who will develop an incurable caffeine addiction? Can the gang save The Max? Will Screech die? Bayside! The Musical! has it all: large cell phones, wrestling, feminism, ducks covered in oil, teenage pregnancy, and proms.”
Go to www.BaysideTheMusical.com to learn more about the show and how to purchase tickets.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- The Original Hamilton Cast: Where Are They Now? - March 24, 2017
- Broadway Shows – Snow Storms, Blizzard Conditions and Show Cancellations - March 14, 2017
- The Worst Broadway Shows of 2016 - January 10, 2017
- The View and Colbert Election TV Show Specials Fail To Impress - November 12, 2016
- “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” Earns Mixed Reviews - November 5, 2016