The Oscar-nominated family road trip film Little Miss Sunshine is now a musical, and soon New York audiences will be able to see it when the show hits Off-Broadway’s Second Stage Theatre. Casting hasn’t yet been announced, but the musical version of Little Miss Sunshine is set to begin performances at Second Stage on October 15.
William Finn (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee) and James Lapine (Into the Woods) wrote the Off-Broadway bound musical, which had its world premiere at the La Jolla Playhouse in early 2011. Little Miss Sunshine has undergone major revisions since then, so the New York premiere will essentially be a very different show.
“I am thrilled to kick off our 35th anniversary season with Little Miss Sunshine,” stated Carole Rothman, Second Stage Theatre’s artistic director. “It seems appropriate to kick off this landmark season with a musical about optimism and resiliency, two qualities that are crucial for any not-for-profit theatre celebrating its past while also looking to its future.”
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” Begins Previews - March 18, 2018
- Tina Fey’s “Mean Girls” Musical Begins Previews - March 15, 2018
- Uma Thurman Concludes in “The Parisian Woman” - March 11, 2018
- Revival of “Carousel” Begins Preview Performances - March 3, 2018
- Disney’s Frozen Begins Broadway Previews, and It’s a Mess - February 23, 2018