It’s always exciting when a Broadway musical is made into a film, especially since the age of the movie musical has long since passed. The Broadway community always holds its collective breath, waiting to find out whether or not the film will be well-received. Unfortunately the track record has been a little hit-or-miss lately. When Chicago won the Academy Award a few years ago, everybody was proclaiming that Hollywood musicals had made a comeback. However, The Producers and Rent movies didn’t do very well, and even Dreamgirls was considered a little disappointing. So will the new film version of the musical Hairspray be the next Broadway-to-Hollywood smash? For that matter, will it be a creative success? Head to the movie theater this weekend and find out!
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- Bette Midler and Donna Murphy Back in “Hello, Dolly!” - June 3, 2018
- “Children of a Lesser God” Concludes Its Run - May 27, 2018
- “The Iceman Cometh” Opens to Positive Reviews - May 3, 2018
- Bernard Shaw’s “Saint Joan” Opens to Mixed Reviews - April 29, 2018
- “My Fair Lady” Opens to Generally Positive Reviews - April 22, 2018