Two of the season’s biggest Broadway shows are opening tonight — just not on Broadway. The new Mel Brooks musical, Young Frankenstein, is opening in Seattle, where it is having its pre-Broadway tryout. Meanwhile in Denver, Disney’s The Little Mermaid opens this evening as well. Out-of-town tryouts are common for Broadway-bound musicals as a way to fine tune the production before getting within earshot of merciless New York theatergoers. Frankenstein and Mermaid will have their official Broadway openings in November and December, respectively.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- Deaf West “Spring Awakening” Concludes Run Early - January 31, 2016
- Broadway Shows – Snow Storms and Blizzard Conditions - January 23, 2016
- Cirque du Soleil Bets Big On New York City - January 14, 2016
- Sales Tax on Broadway Tickets Looms Closer - January 11, 2016
- “China Doll” Opens Following Delay, With Poor Critical Buzz - December 16, 2015