It’s hard to picture comic strip character turned musical theater icon Annie without her beloved dog Sandy, and now the pooch who will play the role in the forthcoming Annie revival has been found. Sunny, a shelter dog from Houston, was discovered by Broadway animal guru William Berloni, who will train Sunny as she prepares to make her Broadway debut. Like any Broadway star, Sunny also has an understudy: Casey, another shelter dog from Nashville.
“Annie is about a girl and her dog desperately seeking a place to call home, and we’re hoping Sunny’s story inspires audiences to consider adopting their next pet,” said producer Arielle Tepper Madover. To give the cause of shelter adoption some added publicity, a 30-minute TV special, Annie’s Search for Sandy, about Sunny and Casey’s journey from pet shelters to stardom will air in October.
Helping the cause further, Broadway’s Annie has partnered with the dog food brand Pedigree to raise money. Pedigree will donate $2.00 for every Annie ticket that’s sold through the end of 2013 to the Pedigree Foundation, a non-profit that will help dogs find homes. There will also be special merchandise available at the theater, and 100% of those proceeds will go to the foundation.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Jersey Boys” Ends Extraordinary Broadway Run - January 15, 2017
- Frozen and Harry Potter Head To Broadway - January 10, 2017
- “The Color Purple” and “Falsettos” Conclude - January 7, 2017
- “Fiddler on the Roof” Closes on New Year’s Eve - December 31, 2016
- ATG Brings Changes to Hudson Theatre Ticketing - December 23, 2016