After a mere month-long hiatus, the popular musical Avenue Q re-opens in New York City today, this time at Off-Broadway’s New World Stages in Times Square. The amazing thing about this opening is that it marks the extremely rare event of a show beginning life Off-Broadway (at the Vineyard Theatre), transferring successfully to Broadway (at the John Golden Theatre), enjoying a healthy multi-year Broadway run, closing, and then almost instantaneously transferring back to Off-Broadway. Rare though this approach is, it seems logical since the “puppet musical”, which is still known and loved by audiences, will be cheaper to produce Off-Broadway and will not have to fill as many seats. This “new” Avenue Q is essentially the same production as the one seen on Broadway, but it features brand new cast members.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- Tony Awards TV Viewership Down 10 Percent Despite Record Breaking Broadway Season - June 10, 2015
- “An Act of God” Opens on Broadway - June 5, 2015
- “It Shoulda Been You” Box Office Unmoved By Reviews - May 28, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 5/10/2015 - May 12, 2015
- “Doctor Zhivago” Begins Performances - April 22, 2015