Raul Esparza (Broadway’s revivals of Speed-the-Plow, The Homecoming, and Company) will star in the upcoming Encores! staging of the famous Broadway flop Anyone Can Whistle. He, Donna Murphy (Wonderful Town, Passion), and Sutton Foster (Broadway credits include Young Frankenstein and Thoroughly Modern Millie) will make up the satirical musical’s trio of leads, and they will be joined by Edward Hibbert, John Ellison Conlee, and Jeff Blumenkrantz. Anyone Can Whistle, which was written by Arthur Laurents and Stephen Sondheim (whose more notable collaborations include the classic Broadway musicals West Side Story and Gypsy), debuted on Broadway in 1964 in a production starring Harry Guardino, Lee Remick, and Angela Lansbury. The show only played nine performances before closing.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- “Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812” Begins - October 23, 2016
- Irving Berlin’s “Holiday Inn” Opens at Studio 54 - October 15, 2016
- “Waitress” All-Female Creative Team Earns Strong Reviews - May 1, 2016
- “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” Begins Previews - April 10, 2016
- Critics Love “Eclipsed,” But Box Office is Slow to Respond - March 17, 2016