The new revival of the musical La Cage Aux Folles opens tonight at Broadway’s Longacre Theatre. This production has already enjoyed critical acclaim at the Menier Chocolate Factory in London, and now comes to Broadway with Kelsey Grammer (TV’s Frasier and Cheers) in the role of nightclub owner Georges. Olivier Award winner Douglas Hodge reprises his role of Albin, Georges’ partner, who is also a featured drag performer at his club. Based on a French play and featuring a book by Harvey Fierstein and a score by Jerry Herman (“I Am What I Am” is the show’s signature song), La Cage Aux Folles originally appeared on Broadway in 1983 and had a fairly recent Broadway revival just a few years ago. For this current production, star Grammer will switch to the part of Albin in six months from now.
Latest posts by Carly White (see all)
- “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” Begins Previews - April 10, 2016
- Critics Love “Eclipsed,” But Box Office is Slow to Respond - March 17, 2016
- “A View from the Bridge” Ends Acclaimed Run in the Red - March 7, 2016
- Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong’o Stars in “Eclipsed” Now in Previews - March 2, 2016
- “Disaster!” Begins Previews at the Nederlander Theatre - February 19, 2016