The idea of a Broadway musical about martial arts legend Bruce Lee might seem a bit crazy, but the just-announced Broadway-bound Bruce Lee: Journey to the West actually sounds pretty intriguing. The musical-in-the-marking has a crack creative team headed by writer David Henry Hwang (M Butterfly), songwriter David Yazbek (The Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), and director Barlett Sher (the current Broadway revival of South Pacific) – a group of such diverse and exceptional talents is likely to create something quite interesting. The show is going to fuse “sources as diverse as martial arts, Chinese Opera, modern dance, and pop music,” in an effort to tell the story of how Bruce Lee “struggles to master his skills, purify his spirit and forge a link to unite East and West”. Bruce Lee: Journey to the West is planning to arrive on Broadway in the 2010-2011 season.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- Bette Midler’s “Hello, Dolly!” Begins Previews - March 18, 2017
- Kevin Kline Stars in “Present Laughter” on Broadway - March 12, 2017
- Lynn Nottage’s Play “Sweat” Begins Previews - March 5, 2017
- New Musical “Come From Away” Commences - February 18, 2017
- Six New Broadway Shows to Begin in February - January 28, 2017