Disney’s The Little Mermaid concludes its run at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre today. The musical, based on the Disney animated film of the same name (which in turn was based off the Hans Christian Andersen tale), opened in January 2008 and has played over 700 performances. Although The Little Mermaid was one of Disney’s most acclaimed and beloved animated movies, the stage musical version did not fare as well. Having run less than two years, The Little Mermaid is one of Disney on Broadway’s least successful ventures so far, begging the question of whether or not the company is beginning to reach a saturation point. Nonetheless, Mary Poppins and especially The Lion King both continue to run strong on Broadway, so Disney fans still have more than one film-turned-stage-musical to choose from.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “The Price” Closes to Mixed Critical and Commercial Success - June 8, 2017
- “Bandstand” Musical Opens to Mixed Reviews - June 2, 2017
- “Six Degrees of Separation” Opens on Broadway - May 27, 2017
- “Natasha, Pierre” Sees Boost from Tony Nominations - May 16, 2017
- Bette Midler in “Hello, Dolly!” Opens with a Bang - May 12, 2017