This weekend, take part in the Independence Day festivities in New York City. Not to miss are the Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks launched off of six barges in the Hudson River, starting at approximately 9:20 p.m. The fireworks can be seen from along the West Side Highway, on Piers 84 and 54, De Witt Clinton Park at 11th Avenue and 52nd Street, or on a water taxi cruise. Also consider watching them explode while partying at a rooftop bar like Highbar (251 West 48th Street) or Hudson Sky Terrace (356 West 58th Street).
Another must-see is Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest on Coney Island in Brooklyn at the original Nathan’s restaurant near the boardwalk at 1310 Surf Avenue. A group of 20 contestants line up behind a 30-foot table to begin eating as many hot dogs as possible at 12:00 p.m. to begin the 12-minute contest. This famous hot dog eating contest has been held each year on July 4 since 1916.
The River To River Festival, a free arts festival of performances and events, takes place ever summer from June to August. On July 4 the festival will host a concert in Battery Park with singer/songwriter Conor Oberst (a.k.a. Bright Eyes) as the main act as well as indie-rocker Jenny Lewis.
Latest posts by Sangrit Malay (see all)
- “American Psycho” Earns Mixed Reviews but Sweeps Drama Desk Nominations - April 29, 2016
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson Stars in “Fully Committed” on Broadway - April 9, 2016
- “Hughie” Closes Ten Weeks Earlier Than Planned - April 2, 2016
- “She Loves Me” Opens to Rave Reviews - March 25, 2016
- Entertainment Benefits Group EBG Continues Acquisitions With Its Next Victim: Working Advantage - March 4, 2016