American department store chain J.C. Penney is opening its first-ever store in New York City on July 31 at 33rd Street and 6th Avenue in the Manhattan Mall. The mall is located one block from Macy’s flagship store in Herald Square and a block from Penn Station.
While the store will have an official grand opening on July 31, a soft opening is taking place tomorrow, July 23, and the new locale will be open to shoppers from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. With more than 1,100 stores across the country, this 153,000-square-foot J.C. Penney store will staff 500 associates. It will be the first J.C. Penney store in Manhattan despite maintaining a corporate office on the island from 1914 to 1988.
There are currently J.C. Penney stores in Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx that are top revenue generators for the department store, so Manhattan store sales are expected to do quite well. The two-level store will finally breathe some life into Manhattan Mall as it has been a ghost town while undergoing renovation for the past year or so.
J.C. Penney is famous for boasting affordable clothing and has recently stepped up to shedding its dowdy reputation by offering designer collections like “I Heart Ronson” by Charlotte Ronson and a Cindy Crawford Home line coming out in September. A Sephora cosmetics store will also open within the new J.C. Penney.
Latest posts by Sangrit Malay (see all)
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ Faces Tough Time Filling Seats In NYC - May 13, 2014
- Newsies Still Packs Them In, a Year After Jeremy Jordan Departed - November 4, 2013
- Henry Winkler and Cheyenne Jackson in “The Performers” – Broadway Show Review - November 14, 2012
- Grace Broadway Show Review - October 13, 2012
- Chaplin Broadway Show Review - September 18, 2012