Looking to find love, but don’t know where to find it? Look no further. The Big Apple has just been ranked number one on Forbes.com’s annual ranking of America’s “Best Cities for Singles,” bumping Atlanta from the top spot. This marks New York City’s first time in the top spot since Forbes.com debuted the list in 2001. Following close behind New York City to round out the top five are Boston, Chicago, Seattle, and Washington D.C. Ranking dead last is Jacksonville, Florida.
Forbes.com generated the “Best Cities for Singles” list by assessing 40 of the largest urban areas in the U.S. based on the cost of living alone, coolness, culture, job growth, online dating, nightlife, and the ratio of singles to the entire population of the city. With more active members living in New York City on Match.com than any other place in the U.S., online dating was a big factor in the city’s rise in the rankings. Singles make up 28 percent of the overall population in New York City.
The tough economy in New York City has led singles to shift their priorities to seeking happiness and comfort in others, taking the focus away from financial stresses. And with an unemployment rate of 8.2 percent, New Yorkers are taking advantage of their severance packages as well as the city’s many restaurants, bars and museums, meanwhile meeting new people or bringing dates along.
Latest posts by Sangrit Malay (see all)
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ Faces Tough Time Filling Seats In NYC - May 13, 2014
- Newsies Still Packs Them In, a Year After Jeremy Jordan Departed - November 4, 2013
- Henry Winkler and Cheyenne Jackson in “The Performers” – Broadway Show Review - November 14, 2012
- Grace Broadway Show Review - October 13, 2012
- Chaplin Broadway Show Review - September 18, 2012