New York’s Central Park Zoo is pretty nifty already…but it’s about to get a whole lot cooler when “Chill Out!” its premier summer weekend event, runs from August 1-2 (this coming Saturday and Sunday.
The triple “p”s of animal cool—puffins, polar bears and penguins—have the starring role this weekend, since most of the events revolve around them. (And, let’s face it, they know a thing or two about cool, not to mention downright cold.)
What’s on the menu? For starters, try tilapia, whipped cream, and vegetable popsicles. Yum. Oh, wait: they’re not for visitors, they’re for the animals. At 1:00 pm, zookeepers grab their ingredients and duel to create the tastiest treat for the two polar bears. From 1:30-4:00 pm, wander on by the ice-carving station, where the carving masters from Ice Fantasies make giant ice animal sculptures (yes, they can be touched.) Other events include keepers giving out frozen treats (hence the popsicles) to various zoo residents from penguins to snow monkeys (taking place from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm), and two special theater performances.
While you’re there, visit the newest zoo residents–the snow monkeys in the Alison Maher Stern Snow Leopard Exhibit. Three new cats can be found (warning: they’re often hard to spot) in a replica of their home in Asia. Check out the “hidden” snow leopard display while you’re there.
The Central Park Zoo is located at Fifth Avenue and 64th Street. For more information, call (212) 794-0284.
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Hamilton’s Weekly Ticket Gross Exceeding $3 Million May Be Misleading - November 30, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/27/2016 - November 29, 2016
- Industry Dips as “Dear Evan Hansen” Thrives at B.O. - November 23, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/20/2016 - November 22, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/13/2016 - November 15, 2016