Is it really Columbus Day already? Wasn’t it just yesterday that we were frolicking by the shore and eating ice cream cones with nary a thought for fall?
Well, here it is, and if you’re still having trouble adjusting to autumn, New York’s Columbus Day Parade should help you realize it’s really here. The parade, which has been around since 1929, wends its way up Fifth Avenue today (11:30 AM-3:00 PM), starting at 44th Street and heading north to 79th Street. (Hey, weren’t we just watching the Labor Day Parade?) Politicians, marching bands, and even the occasional celebrity participate in this homage to the building of this country and Italian-American relations.
If the thought of all that marching just wears you out, it’s also the beginning of Spa Week in New York (Oct. 12-18). A multitude of ritzy treatments are going for $50 a pop at some of the city’s most exclusive salons–Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa at the Plaza; the Lia Schorr Day Spa; and The Salon & Spa at Saks Fifth Avenue, to name a few. (These treatments can normally climb into the hundreds of dollars.) Posh-sounding treatments (Geisha facial, anyone?) are included, although some of them, truthfully, sound like they should be done at your doctor’s office rather than at a spa (Botox? Colonics?)
To each her own.
Spa Week extends across the state as well (as well as other states); you can check out the website spaweek.com, for more information.
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 09/25/2016 - September 28, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 09/18/2016 - September 21, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 09/11/2016 - September 14, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 09/04/2016 - September 6, 2016
- Ultimate Failure of the Prime Time Variety TV Show Modern Reboot - August 29, 2016