Can it be? Can the creators of the Ministry of Silly Walks, the search for the Holy Grail, the flying cows over the battlements and other classic bits really be turning 40 this year? Indeed, they are: Monty Python celebrates the big 4-0 with a one-night-only reunion event at New York’s Ziegfeld Theater this Thursday, October 15, at 7:00 PM. Five of the original founders (John Cleese; Terry Gilliam; Eric Idle; Terry Jones; Michael Palin) will celebrate with a shortened screening of the documentary “Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer’s Cut)”; followed by a Q&A session and reminiscences from the troupe. The film includes appearances by Lorne Michaels (“Saturday Night Live”); Eddie Izzard; and Jimmy Fallon, among others.
Oh, yes, word on the street is that there will also be a presentation of some type of award—but with the Pythons, who knows what that means.
Organized by the Independent Film Channel and The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA), the event is scarce on tickets, but you can try calling the theater at (212) 765-7600.
And, in a spirit befitting the group, rumor has it that the sixth Python, Graham Chapman, who died in 1989, will also (somehow) be incorporated into the evening’s festivities.
A six-hour version of “Almost the Truth” will air on IFC on October 18.
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/22/2015 - November 24, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/15/2015 - November 17, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/08/2015 - November 10, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 11/01/2015 - November 2, 2015
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 10/25/2015 - October 26, 2015