Say what you will, but there’s really nothing like it: The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is once again at, yes, New York’s Radio City Music Hall, heralding the holiday season and bringing high-kicking glory to our fair city once more.
What visitors seem to love is the combination of spectacle and nostalgia; pageantry and familiarity; and of course, the vision of the scantily-yet-absolutely-appropriately-dressed Radio City Rockettes themselves.
Oh-so-familiar numbers include “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers”; Santa’s ride to his workshop at the North People (wait for the rag dolls); and the reenactment of the first Christmas in ”The Living Nativity”(present in the original 1933 version, as were the wooden soldiers!)
It’s a truly weird mix of the sacred and the profane, from giant LED screens and 3D glasses to the birth of Christ; showgirls to “The 12 Days of Christmas.”
The Spectacular, which is seen by more than a million people each year, runs through Dec. 30; Radio City is at 1260 Avenue of the Americas, between 50th and 51st Streets. The Holiday hotline (no, really) is at 212 307-1000. A touring version of the show also plays in selected venues across the country.
Dancing Santas! Falling soldiers! Live camels and sheep! Endlessly smiling dancers! All on a giant stage!
How much more Christmas-y can you get?
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 02/11/18 - February 13, 2018
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 02/04/18 - February 7, 2018
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 01/28/18 - January 30, 2018
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 01/21/18 - January 24, 2018
- Broadway Show Ticket Analysis Chart w/e 01/14/18 - January 18, 2018