Say what you will, but there’s really nothing like it: The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is once again at, yes, New York’s Radio City Music Hall, heralding the holiday season and bringing high-kicking glory to our fair city once more.
What visitors seem to love is the combination of spectacle and nostalgia; pageantry and familiarity; and of course, the vision of the scantily-yet-absolutely-appropriately-dressed Radio City Rockettes themselves.
Oh-so-familiar numbers include “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers”; Santa’s ride to his workshop at the North People (wait for the rag dolls); and the reenactment of the first Christmas in ”The Living Nativity”(present in the original 1933 version, as were the wooden soldiers!)
It’s a truly weird mix of the sacred and the profane, from giant LED screens and 3D glasses to the birth of Christ; showgirls to “The 12 Days of Christmas.”
The Spectacular, which is seen by more than a million people each year, runs through Dec. 30; Radio City is at 1260 Avenue of the Americas, between 50th and 51st Streets. The Holiday hotline (no, really) is at 212 307-1000. A touring version of the show also plays in selected venues across the country.
Dancing Santas! Falling soldiers! Live camels and sheep! Endlessly smiling dancers! All on a giant stage!
How much more Christmas-y can you get?
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 08/21/2016 - August 24, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 08/14/2016 - August 16, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 08/07/2016 - August 10, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 07/31/2016 - August 2, 2016
- Desperate For Ratings, Nothing Is Off Limits For Colbert’s “Late Show” - July 29, 2016