The “Under the Radar” Theater Festival has kicked off at the Public Theater as well as venues around New York City, so get ready to see 20 productions from seven countries, or, at least, some of them.
The Festival, now in its sixth year, celebrates contemporary theater and had its debut at the St. Ann’s Warehouse in 2005. It has since become an outlet for new theater from around the globe.
This year, the Festival includes such works as “Space Panorama,” in which British director Andrew Dawson recreates a documentary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. The catch? He uses only his hands and a black-draped table. (January 7-17 at the Public Theater, 435 Lafayette Street.)
You can also catch “Silver Stars,” which features a community chorus of gay men (January 8-16, also at the Public); and (at the far end of the out-there spectrum); “Chekhov Lizardbrain,” presented by Philadelphia’s Pig Iron Theatre Company. The…event? play? spectacle? combines neuroscience and Russian Melodrama. Really. (It’s at the CSV Cultural Center; 107 Suffolk Street; January 7-17).
Fans can meet at the LuEstehr Lounge at The Public after the shows for drinks and discussion.
You can check undertheradarfestival.com for more information, or at the phone numbers for the individual venues. (The Public Theater can be reached at (212) 967-7555.
So get your adventure on–where else but New York, after all?
Latest posts by Michael Tubbs (see all)
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 10/16/2016 - October 18, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 10/09/2016 - October 12, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 10/02/2016 - October 5, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 09/25/2016 - September 28, 2016
- Broadway Show Ticket Sales Analysis w/e 09/18/2016 - September 21, 2016