Possibly inspired by Mike Tyson’s entry onto Broadway, boxer Jake LaMotta will be taking the New York stage this month in Lady and the Champ. The Off-Broadway production scheduled to play from July 19 to July 29 will star both LaMotta and Denise Baker, his seventh wife. Carl Shimkin and Patrick Jude will also be featured in the cast.
A former middleweight champ, Jake LaMotta’s fame transcended the boxing world when Robert DeNiro played him in Martin Scorsese’s 1980 classic film Raging Bull. Now at the age of 90, LaMotta shares his life story through a theatrical evening of stories, song, and video. Written by Baker and Bonnie Lee Sanders, Lady and the Champ details LaMotta’s career as a boxer, as well as his later years as a bar owner and doing stand-up. He also talks about his many marriages, leading up to “lucky #7,” his current wife and co-star Denise Baker.
Lady and the Champ starring Jake LaMotta will play at the Richmond Shepard Theatre, located at 301 E. 26th Street.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- Bette Midler’s “Hello, Dolly!” Begins Previews - March 18, 2017
- Kevin Kline Stars in “Present Laughter” on Broadway - March 12, 2017
- Lynn Nottage’s Play “Sweat” Begins Previews - March 5, 2017
- New Musical “Come From Away” Commences - February 18, 2017
- Six New Broadway Shows to Begin in February - January 28, 2017